openstudio creative photoshoot
- models: alicia k. / kayla u. for lizbell agency
- photography: kelly jill
- photo assistant: roy peng yue
- production: openstudio
- creative director: alex yueh lu for openstudio
- fashion director: angela chen for openstudio
- hair: emma park for avant garde
- makeup: tommy chiang using mac cosmetics
- outfits & styling: kailin chu / sally guo for openstudio
- video(s) /direction & camera: victor john penner for T/m
- video(s) / editing: david james for thekreative
- intern for T/m: jared nome
About the Make-up Artistry
The make-up design looks were inspired by international VOGUE magazine’s cover images of retro hair styling & contemporary eye make-up design, as instructed in the fashion designers’ storyboard they put together.
Every fashion shoot has its own story, and a theme that the designer wants to express to the audience. A great portfolio is never just about the designer’s wowing piece, nor just the model’s look, photographer’s skills, make-up artistry or the hair styling – it’s a story of all creative talents’ work together as ONE piece.
Some of the key M·A·C make-up products I used for this shoot:
1. Complete Comfort Crème
To instantly rehydrate the face and provide high-comfort wear with its calming plant-and marine-based formula.
2. Prep & Prime Skin
Silicon-based make-up primer for the face. Evens out skin texture & redness right before the foundation application.
3. M·A·C PRO Full Coverage Foundation “White”
Emollient-based foundation formulated to provide opaque coverage on the face to achieve the very “pale skin” look with other light shades, with using #109 Small Contour Brush. Great for beauty/fashion photography.
4. Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder
This colorless finishing powder was used to set the full coverage foundation, and also to reduce shine while optically minimizing the look of lines & imperfections.
5. M·A·C PRO Chromaline “Black Black”
This dark black waterproof gel/cream liner was used with #209 Eye Liner Brush to create that precise, wowing-effect graphic on the eye, as well as the eye liner at top & bottom of the eyes.
6. M·A·CPRO Chromaline “Pure White”
This vibrantly white gel/cream liner was used with an eye shadow brush for the detailing of the eye make-up… totally opaque!
7. #209 Eye Liner Brush
An extra-fine tipped synthetic fibre brush that delivers a precise, firm, even stroke with which to line the eyes. Use with liquid or cream products.
8. #109 Small Contour Brush
Used on the face to apply the cream foundation in a circular motion. Of soft, natural fibres.
9. M·A·CPRO Lip Erase Lip Balm “Pale”
A flesh-toned balm that visually neutralizes and erases natural colour from the lip before applying lipstick colours.
10. Lipstick “Costa Chic”
- Special thanks to Victor John Penner & Marlisse Penner of Test/Model Magazine & PhotoMob for their wonderful video production, and the rest of the creative team, BRAVO!
- International Magazine Publication: Abook Magazine, Sept. 2012 Issue 14 (Taiwan)
Related Blog Posts in Tommy Beauty Pro:
- M·A·C 2012 Spring/Summer Makeup Trend Report
- M·A·C 2011 Autumn/Winter Makeup Trend Report
- Tommy’s Makeup Artistry + OpenStudio Design Art + Abook Magazine
- Fashion Photography: Decay, Growth & Detox
- i-D Magazine Cover by Photographer CHEN M MAN (陳漫)
- “Make Love Not War” by Photographer Steven Meisel