Bollywood pretty much has the smoky eye down on lock. So of course, when I sat down with one of their biggest makeup artists – Mickey Contractor, Director of M·A·C Cosmetics Makeup Artistry (India). I made sure I’d ask him about how to get the smoky eye look so many of us are still trying to perfect (that includes me). Instead of telling me, he asked one of his assistants, Donnie Hsiao, to show me! Donnie went right to work, telling me exactly what he was using to achieve the look while he worked:
Products & Tools used:
- M·A·C Paint Pot in “Bare Study”
- M·A·C “Smolder” Eye Kohl
- M·A·C “Carbon” Eyeshadow
- M·A·C “Folie” Eyeshadow
- M·A·C “Ricepaper” Eyeshadow
- M·A·C “Zoom Lash” Mascara
- M·A·C #219 Pencil Brush
- M·A·C #217 Blending Brush
- M·A·C “Lust” Tinted Lipglass
- M·A·C “Mocha” Powder Blush
Smokey Eye Step by Step:
1. First, apply the paint pot all over the lid as an eye shadow base. This will ensure that there is not creasing and allows you to start on a neutral base.
2. Next, apply the Smolder liner to your top lash line with the #219 Pencil Brush. Smudge out.
3. Then apply a little of the “Folie” eye shadow, topping it with “Carbon” on the eye lid and blend with the fluffy #217 Blending Brush.
4. Go back to the #219 Pencil Brush and line the bottom inner lid. Smudge out.
5. Using the same #217 Blend Brush, add “Folie” eye shadow to the crease. BLEND.
6. To finish, add “Ricepaper” eye shadow to highlight the brow bone. Finish it off with lots of “Zoom Lash” Mascara!
7. Clean up the surrounding area in case any shadow pigments fell under your eyes by using a powder foundation like M·A·C Studio Fix Powder. To finish up my look, Donnie also used “Lust” Tinted Lipglass on the lips, and dust “Mocha” Powder Blush on the cheeks.
Below is a snippet of Donnie doing my eyes — it’s not quite a tutorial in itself, but I figure it’s easier to see it done if you want to imitate the look yourself!
How to: Smoky Eyes using M·A·C via Mickey Contractor – IIFA Awards 2011
- Blog Source: Beauty and the Feast
Related Blog Posts in Tommy Beauty Pro:
- Kim Kardashian Makeup Looks
- Makeup 101: False Lashes on Asian Eyes
- Makeup 101: Create Simple Smoky Eyes with Estée Lauder
- Makeup 101: Sultry Smoky Eyes with Bobbi Brown
- Makeup 101: Eye Liner Tips & Ticks
- Bobbi Brown – Quick Asian Smokey Eye
- Indian Beauty Central: Interview with Sonic Sarwate, Senior Artist – M·A·C India