OpenStudio is an art/design studio where high school students come to develop strong, creative and personal art portfolios for applying to art and design universities. They specialize in fashion design, graphic design, interior design, fine art, industrial design and architecture design.
The studio is led by Creative Directors Alex Lu and Angela Chen. Having the valuable work experiences with top New York designers such as: Anna Sui, Marc Jacob, Carolina Herrera, Angela is her own brand fashion designer of Or by Angela Chen.
Once again, Tommy Beauty Pro team was honoured to be invited by the OpenStudio creative directors to join the team to create and execute make-up looks to their designer students’ creative pieces in October 2012.
Each of the designer students: Jamie Yu, Tracy Yun Wong and Sherry Guo, spent months of hard work at the studio to create their art work; and this particular piece is one of their most exciting creations as they get to work with industry professionals (fashion photographer, agency models, pro make-up artist & hair stylist, videographer) and get involved on how their work is done to meet industry standard from start to finish–the amazing art piece at the end always get published in fashion/art magazine locally and internationally.
Material used for each designer’s piece:
1. Jaime Yu: film, craft paper, spray paint, clear wrapping paper, spray paint
2. Tracy Yun Wong: craft paper, clear wrapping paper, cardboard, film, spray paint
3. Sherry Guo: plastic, wrapping paper, garden wire, spray paint
In the past, our collaborative art/fashion work have been published on magazines internationally in New York (USA), Vancouver (BC, Canada), and Taiwan ROC. Not only the designer students were able to learn about the design process at the studio, this project is a real learning experience to prepare them for the future–to be able to know how to search for fashion inspiration, put ideas together into a real fashion piece, know how colours/shapes/texture work in combination, and to train in communication and coordination skills with the industry professionals.
Please enjoy the great behind-the-scenes video capture by Vancouver videographer Thomas Tan!
OpenStudio Photoshoot: Behind the Scenes
- Magazine Publication: ABook Magazine, Dec. 2012, Issue 15 (Taiwan)
- Studio: OpenStudio of Angela Chen (陳姿穎) & Alex Lu (盧嶽)
- Photographer: Kelly Jill
- Designer Stylists: Jamie Yu, Tracy Wong, Sherry Guo
- Make-up Artistry: Tommy Chiang
- Hair: Eros Liu
- Videographer: Thomas Tan
- Models: Kirsten, Samira & Kayla (Lizbell)
For make-up artistry, the designer students gathered ideas from beauty/fashion magazines and were inspired by M•A•C PRO’s Autumn/Winter 2012 Trend Report, where the make-up looks were created at major fashion runways in New York, Milan, London and Paris… for the looks we did on the models, three make-up trends were used on three different models respectively. For a full A/W 2012 Make-up Trend Report (20123秋冬彩妝趨勢解析), please check out my previous blog post by clicking here.
“It’s about timeless classics done in a modern way – these are elements of makeup that never go out of fashion but simply get reinvented.” – Terry Barber, Director of Makeup Artistry. These looks ultimately carry a sophistication that elevates them beyond trend, becoming instead a new set of modern Classics.
“We’ve turned the light around this season – it’s now less about highlights and more about the depth of a contour, a shaded face that is slightly hollow and haunted but extremely beautiful and not alien.” – Andrew Gallimore, Key Artist AW12 Fashion Week.
“To put in bone structure is a very knowing art form and the real mastery of being a makeup artist.” – Terry Barber, Director of Makeup Artistry.
探討臉部的構造與輪廓，在美容界並不是一個全新的概念，然而 2012 秋冬，雕刻立體感的概念將朝越來越理智的方向繼續前進。骨架已經從上季的超級打光推進到考慮如何用陰影為臉部增加深邃感的層次，現在要少打光，多點輪廓的深度。要打造有一點點凹陷，卻又是細膩準確的修容，舉例來說，請想像一個女人拍了一張黑白照，當臉上的明暗非常清楚時，你就會看到非常一氣呵成的輪廓。這個彩妝趨勢絕對是打光與輪廓的正確配置，我們要女孩們看起來美麗、乾淨、清新但輪廓絕對要鮮明，重視質感與線條而非只是顏色的陰暗。如何凸顯骨架是一種非常精明的藝術形式，也成為彩妝師必備的真正優勢。
“This season isn’t about liner being classic. It’s about an etching, about it creating a geometry on the face.” – Gordon Espinet, M∙A∙C Vice President of Makeup Artistry. While these lines are fragmented in their structure, by respecting the architecture of the eye shape, they tailor and enhance the face.
The key reference points: Oriental precision (indeed, fashion’s collective eye seems trained on the East) and equestrian elegance – refined, original and intriguing, the new updated liner is “all about a trick of the eye that is very artistic. It’s about taking a classic gesture and reworking it into something non-conformist.”
黑色眼線在每個年代都有特殊的代表作，例如20 年代的青春少女、40 年代的性感小野貓、50 年代的尾翼眼線、60 年代的電影造型、70 年代的龐克、80 年代的新浪潮…，2012秋冬打散重組每個年代的經典畫法，以一種不墨守成規的手法，詮釋當代幾何主義的黑色眼線。尊重眼型的構造，量身打造並畫出凸顯自我特色的幾何圖，而非同一種架構套在每個人身上。
1. #188 Small Duo Fibre Brush – dual fiber brush with both natural and synthetic fibers to apply moisturizer and cream foundation on the skin
2. Complete Comfort Creme – An ultra-creamy moisturizer, high-comfort wear, provide sensitive skin with the soothing benefits associated with its calming plant-and marine-based formula.
3. Prep + Prime Natural Radiance – silky gel face primer was applied on the skin to control oil and promote smooth texture, the formula disappears upon application, resulting in a beautiful glow.
4. Full Coverage Foundation – was mixed with Care Blends Essential Oil. Great finish for camera!
5. Care Blends Essential Oil – mixed with Full Coverage Foundation, buffed gently into skin with the dual fiber brush for a flawless skin finish in opaque coverage.
6. Rose Gold Pigment was mixed with Mixing Medium (Shine) – (both M∙A∙C PRO products) were used to create that geometric, rectangular shapes around the eyes on model Kirsten
7. Neo-Orange Pigment – highly concentrated neon orange colour was applied on model Samira’s eye to give a pop of bright colour!
8. Lipstick “Viva Glam I” & “Russian Red” – two classic red lip colours were mixed to use on model Kayla’s lips to give that sensual appeal
A special Face Lace “Nouveau Mask” by Phyllis Cohen (UK) was used on model Kayla to create a “mystic” aura on top of being sensual.
Related Blog Posts in Tommy Beauty Pro:
- July Snow “Avant Garde”
- Hair Art by Nagi Noda
- M·A·C 2012 Spring/Summer Makeup Trend Report
- Fashion Photography: Decay, Growth & Detox
- Tommy’s Makeup Artistry + OpenStudio + TEST/model Magazine
- Make-Over Show on Breakfast Television
- Tommy’s Make-up Artistry Portfolio Images