Did you know that despite the luxe skin care creams and face-pampering facials, you could still be mistreating your skin? Christina McDougall, spa director at The Spa at The Old Mill Inn in Toronto (Canada), shares these beauty faux pas that could be sabotaging your skin care regimen.
1. Sleeping on your face, or on your side. “As we get older, skin isn’t as resilient, so it can cause creases in our skin,” says McDougall. ”As we age, our skin doesn’t bounce back as quickly or as easily. So you may develop fine lines more on one side than the other. Try to sleep on your back as much as possible, and make sure to use elastin and collagen to help build, tone and strengthen the skin.”
2. Too many coffee breaks. “Alcohol and caffeine are major dehydrators—not good for the body or skin,” says McDougall. ”Make sure you don’t overdo it, and keep up your water intake.” McDougall also recommends using a product with hyaluronic acids, as it helps increase water content in the skin so you don’t look so dehydrated.
3. Skipping sunscreen. “We forget, because it’s not summertime, to use our sunscreen,” says McDougall. ”Even in winter, you can get sunburn from reflection off the snow. So be sure to use sunscreen, whether it’s a cream or mineral powder–a full-block foundation that gives full coverage without the need to reapply.”
4. Not getting enough sleep. “Lack of sleep is one of the biggest causes of dull-looking skin, dark circles, and puffiness around the eyes,” says McDougall. She recommends at least 6 hours of solid sleep a night. “Turn off the TV, and stop eating, an hour before bed. You want to be in that peaceful frame of mind before you go to sleep.”
5. Smoking. “For the lips especially, whistling or drinking out of a straw, or smoking cigarettes, can cause the same fine lines to appear in the lip area, due to the sucking motion,” says McDougall. If you love your skin, you’ll cut it out.
- Source: Beauty RSVP
Related blog posts in Tommy Beauty Pro:
- Cotte D’Armes Spring Summer 2013 Fashion Show
- BB Cream & Men’s Grooming Make-up
- China’s Beauty Stars
- Makeup 101: SPF and Sun-Kissed Bronzing Skin